Would you recommend building a .NET website if .COM is already taken?
I have a client who wants to purchase a domain to build out a website. The .COM domain name he wants to use is owned by GoDaddy and they want to sell it for $2,500.
He's asking me if it's worth it to buy the .NET domain and go ahead and build out his site.
Question - is this smart?
Question - would you recommend this or not?
If it is for an affililiate site, then you could use .com, .net, or .org. If it is for an authority site, then I would only use .com.
The reason for this is that you don't want customers landing on the .com and you would lose traffic and business that way. Also a .net does not good for a company's website. If it is a blog that directs traffic to the main site, then a .net is ok. But if it is the actual main site, you don't want to use a .net. Hope this answers your question.
it does indeed. answer the question. it will be for an authority site, so what I would hate is to do is build out a .NET website only to have someone else decide to buy the .COM and take all the traffic I worked to build. I'll let my customer know. THANKS!!
Never underestimate the consumer who will just go to www.yourbusiness.com, without even googling first. I agree with 5875 and Dominic that .com is the way to go here.
if you go to .net because there is another company with the same name (and they have a stronger brand) you are going to be confused with them. I would only do it in the instance that someone bought the .com domain and is trying to sell it for a lot of money.
The ultimate question for my client is: is the .com domain worth $2,500??
Good posts. I agree with the posts here. If this is a must have domain name that will be a big part of their business, go with .com. That is purely from a branding standpoint.
Great conversation going on here. If the sites main function is for authority then it might be worth spending the money. The domain is going to be a huge aspect of the business not something I would chance with the .NET
Dominic, the ultimate question is whether that .com will have an extreme benefit for your client. Is it an EMD for the sole purpose of having an EMD for competitive keywords? Is it an EMD with the name of the business that could confuse potential customers and direct them away from your client's site? Is the traffic to that .Com worth the $2,500 it will set your client back? There are lots of factors to consider.
When trying to make a major decision like that I always find it's best to lay out the potential options and do a cost/benefit analysis.
If the .com isn't crucial to branding (if it doesn't have your client's exact business name for example), then what about mixing around the words or finding another .Com that's somewhat close to that? I guess it's kind of hard without knowing competition level, industry, or really any other major factors which would help.
or Contact Us Today
Interested in Our
White Label SEO?
Jason G.: (12/06/13 - 12:59 PM) Matt, I also wanted to jump in quickly to let you ...
Eric R: (12/06/13 - 12:59 PM) 5. Ok, I will try to do a better job of keeping t ...
: (12/06/13 - 12:56 PM) Adam, Please answer my question; will this ever b ...
Chris Vale: (12/06/13 - 12:50 PM) Hi Hubshout! I'm looking to sell a featured artic ...
Chris T: (12/06/13 - 12:47 PM) [quote]bChad F said:/b Would have not turned d ...
: (12/06/13 - 12:56 PM) Hello - I have this same issue (with pins too) - s ...
Adam: (12/06/13 - 12:59 PM) FYI - On #3: You can't see those prices on our pub ...
Tim Fahndrich: (12/06/13 - 12:59 PM) Adam, thanks for your response. 1) sounds good ...
Adam: (12/06/13 - 12:56 PM) The initial report on 4325020 was related to secur ...
- WEBINAR -- Boost Traffic and Credibility with BuzzGraphics
- WEBINAR -- Tell Us What You Want
- WEBINAR -- How Google Hummingbird Affects You
- WEBINAR -- Delivering Premium Content
- WEBINAR -- Efficient Revenue: Pay Per Click Retargeting
- WEBINAR -- Selling the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 3 [LAST CHANCE]
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 2
- WEBINAR -- Learn All About the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- Maximize Dashboard Tools
- Google Needs to Have Santa Now Too? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media and the Rise of Giving Tuesday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Productivity Loss on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Can Yahoo Take on Traditional News Media? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Protecting Yourself on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Using Small Business Saturday to Bring in Local Business [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Content Discovery & Twitter's New Custom Timelines [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Google Data Requests from Government Increasing [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Why Facebook Wants Snapchat [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]