Marketing Copy & Specialization
According to Dictionary.com, the word 'specialization' means "to train in or devote oneself to a particular area of study, occupation, or activity." I'm pretty sure the majority of people understand this, however, when it comes to marketing we seem to forget this definition pretty quickly.
I've done probably around 100 onsite SEO reports now and just want to point out one of the most common problems I see in marketing copy. That problem is the misuse of the word 'specialization' by following the phrase "we specialize in" with a long list of stuff.
In a world where most lawyers 'specialize' in every aspect of law, the person looking for a divorce lawyer will always pick the lawyer that says "we specialize in divorce law" and never the lawyer that 'specializes' in all law from animal rights to zoning. When you try to appeal to everybody, you appeal to nobody.
If that is their only SEO problem, they are in good shape. ;-)
Perhaps suggest something like "we excel in" or "experts in". Broad areas of excellence and expertise are still grammatically correct, and still give the potential client the impression of an expert, excellent practitioner of litigation.
I agree, Adam. When it comes to problems specific to SEO, the hands down #1 problem I encounter is that the majority of the sites want to rank for keywords that do not appear at all on the page. I can probably count on my hands the number of the sites that have had a target keyword show up once.
Bill, that's great advice for speaking to horizontal markets. As marketers, do you think we should be speaking to those markets? I take the side of Seth Godin on this issue and believe that its best to grow your 'tribe' in a vertical market and then use that authority and trust to slowly expand horizontally.
I was looking at it from the point of view of the lawyer who is already horizontal but limited by h own grammar. Although Seth Godin would indeed advise otherwise. The IdeaVirus, as much as any lawyer can have, is attached to the specialty, think about all the TV lawyers we see around here, and how viral their ads have become, you can probably name who to call if : you're hurt in a car? if the heavy hitters are all you need? for your injury attorneys? But I doubt you could name one local zoning, bankruptcy or divorce lawyer from advertising.
I guess what I'm trying to get to here is some specialities are very well covered by advertising already, but many are not. Perhaps starting something viral in one of those fields that isn't already "taken" by an advertising giant? (Which is just like in introductory SEO: take a keyword that isn't as competitive)? I'm pretty new here so I may be completely wrong, just trying to get an understanding of how this would work.
Well said, Bill! Thank you for entertaining my question. I agree 100% and your examples with TV lawyers are so perfect.
I still say that 454-2020 makes for a much better jingle than 888-8888
Specialization following the phrase "we specialize in." Cringe.
YES! I agree with you 100%
"specialize" eek. I like "we excel in" or "experts in".
or Contact Us Today
Interested in Our
White Label SEO?
Keila: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) It's kinda sad that someone even had to make that ...
Keila: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) CHRIS DON'T YOU DARE TURN THIS INTO CUTE KITTENS P ...
Bill: (12/12/13 - 12:49 PM) I think you win the CATernet, Aqeel! ...
Fiore: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) People texting other people when you're at dinner ...
Chris T: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) To make up for the previous post, I am going to po ...
Chris T: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) [quote]bChad said:/b I predict this thread wil ...
Aqeel: (12/12/13 - 12:49 PM) iframe width= 480 height= 302 src= ://www.u ...
Chad: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) I predict this thread will have more posts than cu ...
: (12/12/13 - 01:19 PM) I'd just like to register my extreme satisfaction ...
- WEBINAR -- BuzzGraphics, Link Outreach, and Marketing Report
- WEBINAR -- Tell Us What You Want
- WEBINAR -- How Google Hummingbird Affects You
- WEBINAR -- Delivering Premium Content
- WEBINAR -- Efficient Revenue: Pay Per Click Retargeting
- WEBINAR -- Selling the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 3 [LAST CHANCE]
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 2
- WEBINAR -- Learn All About the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- Maximize Dashboard Tools
- HubShout's No Shave MOvember Raises $1062 for Us TOO
- Google PageRank Still Alive...For Now
- Google Needs to Have Santa Now Too? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media and the Rise of Giving Tuesday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Productivity Loss on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Can Yahoo Take on Traditional News Media? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Protecting Yourself on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Using Small Business Saturday to Bring in Local Business [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Content Discovery & Twitter's New Custom Timelines [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]