Keywords rankings in the portal are very different to actual results in Google - Why is that?
I have 5 clients currently signed up with hubshout and I've noticed that the ranking data for each clients keywords is completely different to the actual results in Google.
Any idea why that could be? The hubshout results usually show more positive data then the correct results, which would be great of they were right but they're not.
Any input would be much appreciated.
I have noticed this for a while as well. On our site, however, I've noticed that the hubshout results are LOWER that what they actually are in Google. And I've tested it in several different ways, resetting cache, resetting browsers, and testing the google results on several different cpus in several different offices. We're pulling up #1 in google searches through my testing, yet the hubshout tool keeps saying we are #7-#15, it keeps bouncing up and down in the software
Great questions and comments. Yes, usually the HubShout rankings are lower than the "real" rankings. One big reason for this is that we look with 100 results per page - while most people don't search that way. Google (for unknown reasons) displays different results when you set your preferences to 100 Results per page. Another issue is geography. We check from 8 different major cities in the US (Dallas, Chicago, Newark, St Louis, Oakland, etc). This causes results to "bounce" if they are doing better in one region than another.
In the end, most of the major SEO reporting companies have dropped support for this (see HubSpot and RavenTools). We've decided to keep it (for now) with the heavy caveat that it is only as accurate as Google allows it to be. Even with these flaws, when resellers explain the situation to customers, they generally understand.
I have also had a few people mention that the rank now and current trends sometimes show up as "zero" even though they are ranking on that keyword.
Almost every ticket I've seen on the "zero" issue has been the result of a type in the tracking URL. Seriously, it happens at least once per week.
Then only thing is that the reports produced by hubshout are inaccurate which means I can't then send them onto my client and I'm having to do the ranking separately. You mentioned that the searches are done from locations within the US, I'm in the UK so does that mean my data will always be wrong?
Well, you learn something new everyday. Apparently there is no end to how many twists and turns Google throws into things.
I wouldn't take that position. Clients need to understand just how guarded Google is with all this data. You should not feel timid about telling the client "yeah, that's right - Google won't let us have good data."
Another great example of this is "NOT PROVIDED" in their Analytics.
I just check the target URL and it's the same for every other one of the target URLs.
Keep in mind that the dashboard pings Google once per week. This is a snapshot. If you check the next day the ranking is bound to be different.
or Contact Us Today
Interested in Our
White Label SEO?
: (12/09/13 - 10:18 AM) [quote]b said:/b It seems like Twitter is way ...
: (12/09/13 - 10:18 AM) It seems like Twitter is way more of a reliable so ...
: (12/07/13 - 04:49 PM) We might need to leave this platform, believe it o ...
Brian Long: (12/09/13 - 10:18 AM) [quote]b said:/bI check Facebook way too many ...
: (12/06/13 - 01:56 PM) Thanks Adam. I really do appreciate your help, on ...
Adam: (12/06/13 - 01:56 PM) Hi guys. We have ticket 4349157 open on this. Anal ...
Tim Fahndrich: (12/06/13 - 01:31 PM) Adam, Re: #3... it does appear that it is on the p ...
Kyle: (12/06/13 - 01:19 PM) Were we ever able to obtain these? ...
Jason G.: (12/06/13 - 01:31 PM) Matt, I also wanted to jump in quickly to let you ...
- WEBINAR -- Boost Traffic and Credibility with BuzzGraphics
- WEBINAR -- Tell Us What You Want
- WEBINAR -- How Google Hummingbird Affects You
- WEBINAR -- Delivering Premium Content
- WEBINAR -- Efficient Revenue: Pay Per Click Retargeting
- WEBINAR -- Selling the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 3 [LAST CHANCE]
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 2
- WEBINAR -- Learn All About the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- Maximize Dashboard Tools
- HubShout's No Shave MOvember Raises $1062 for Us TOO
- Google Needs to Have Santa Now Too? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media and the Rise of Giving Tuesday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Productivity Loss on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Can Yahoo Take on Traditional News Media? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Protecting Yourself on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Using Small Business Saturday to Bring in Local Business [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Content Discovery & Twitter's New Custom Timelines [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Google Data Requests from Government Increasing [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]