Had a great conversation with the guys yesterday evening about free internet. Google already provides free wi-fi in several cities, including mountain view CA, and Chelsea neighborhood in NYC. The world is moving closer and closer to dirt-cheap connectivity. So, do you guys think the internet will ever be free? Google thinks so, and is using their ad revenue to prove it. Maybe one day the devices we have in our pockets will run completely on wi-fi (or probably some descendant) completely free-of-charge.
Our devices may one day roam from network to network, or possibly (with the increasing storage and cell tech) act as the network. What do you guys think?
Google's Free Internet
Very thought provoking comment!
One side of me says that the general public will get fed up with advertising-driven content and will eventually demand higher quality, and be willing to pay for it
But then I catch myself and say, "hey, how long have we had ad-support television for free?"
Answer: A VERY long time. And still very popular.
I never thought about television being driven like that, The link between the two is very close!
TV is completely driven by ads, and you only pay extra to get ad free or premium channels (HBO or an additional 200 channels, lol). The trick between both is we need to understand how to keep consumers engaged. How many TV commercials do you actually remember? Are you focused and paying attention through them? More times than likely... probably not. Will people get fed up and angry about ad driven content? At first, yes. Then they will block it out or ignore it just like we do with TV. Online ads are relatively new compared to TV ads so people just need a little time to become conditioned to blocking them out.
Internet free of charge and driven by ads... possibly if search engines like Google expand their free wifi spots/free internet spots. If the cable/phone companies control the market like they do now... internet won't be free, just part of a bundle (makes me think of... Vonage TV ads...) crap, they got me to connect "bundle" with "Vonage"
[(makes me think of... Vonage TV ads...) crap, they got me to connect "bundle" with "Vonage"] -corporate brainwashing I say!
brainwashing.... advertising.... synonymous terms.
Don't even get me started on that... we could start with normal search ads and move to remarketing (sometimes called stalker) ads to target users. Tracking cookies are pretty interesting... much more focused and better for sales/conversion tracking than TV
Is Vonage even around anymore? Lol
I believe Adam once stated in a form post that nothing is free.
vonage is totally around, you don't watch enough tv, and no nothings free. not in 2013
or Contact Us Today
Interested in Our
White Label SEO?
Mick: (12/04/13 - 11:31 PM) Kyle, can you also fix it so i am receiving all fo ...
Mick: (12/04/13 - 11:20 PM) This is also being discussed here - ://hubshou ...
Mick: (12/04/13 - 11:18 PM) I am having similar issues as reported to my Acc M ...
Charlie: (12/04/13 - 04:53 PM) Jesse: IMG SRC= ://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r0jBNs7 ...
Jesse: (12/04/13 - 04:53 PM) An Antecedent is a word or phrase that gives its m ...
Matt: (12/04/13 - 04:53 PM) Random quiz. What is an Antecedent? ...
: (12/04/13 - 02:54 PM) I wonder if it would ever be beneficial for Hubsho ...
Charlie: (12/04/13 - 04:53 PM) Nice use of that semicolon, Eric! :P ...
Eric R: (12/04/13 - 04:53 PM) brilliant! I have a greater understanding for semi ...
- WEBINAR -- Boost Traffic and Credibility with BuzzGraphics
- WEBINAR -- Tell Us What You Want
- WEBINAR -- How Google Hummingbird Affects You
- WEBINAR -- Delivering Premium Content
- WEBINAR -- Efficient Revenue: Pay Per Click Retargeting
- WEBINAR -- Selling the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 3 [LAST CHANCE]
- WEBINAR -- New SEO Plans PART 2
- WEBINAR -- Learn All About the New SEO Plans
- WEBINAR -- Maximize Dashboard Tools
- Google Needs to Have Santa Now Too? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media and the Rise of Giving Tuesday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Productivity Loss on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Can Yahoo Take on Traditional News Media? [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Protecting Yourself on Cyber Monday [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Using Small Business Saturday to Bring in Local Business [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Content Discovery & Twitter's New Custom Timelines [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Google Data Requests from Government Increasing [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]
- Why Facebook Wants Snapchat [VIDEO & INFOGRAPHIC]